Monday, March 1, 2010

Believe in Your Service

Recently a participant at one of my seminars said to me “Coach I am not doing well in Sales because I am too honest. My Sales Presentation goes well but when it comes to closing the sale I speak the truth and often it results in a lost sale. My peers do not tell the truth and succeed in closing the Sale.”

I could see the anguish and look of hopelessness in her eyes and I was moved by her pain. My immediate response was to use the opportunity to correct an often mistaken belief, that selling is trickery and deception. It is true that some less than honest individuals and companies deceive customers but I do not call them sales persons or sales organizations but crooks. Deception is short lived and cannot sustain customer loyalty.

A true salesperson on the other hand solves a client’s problem with his product or service. All products have strengths and weaknesses. And a master sales person communicates how his product or service’s strengths can solve the customer’s problem. He focuses on the benefits of the service and explains its value and proves it can solve the problem or meet the need. A master sales person, if required, communicates how weaknesses of the product or service can be compensated for with additional service.

In this case my participant had a problem and even though it was in a seminar with others I was determined to solve her problem with my solution. I explained to her that more likely it was either a weakness in her closing skills or a lack of total product knowledge. Either way we would deal with these skills during the course of the seminar. Later during the respective parts of the seminar I paid special attention in helping her build those respective skills. I am glad to report that she left the seminar more knowledgeable and confident in her closing skills.

A successful sales person believes in her product or service. And believes she is truly selling an appropriate solution. If she doesn’t believe the service is a solution its normally because she does not have sufficient product knowledge. I believed in my service and was confident that I could help her overcome her mistaken belief.

If you’re serious about dramatically growing your sales then you must truly believe in and know your product or service and believe that you are truly helping solve the customer’s problem.

Improving sales confidence is one of the areas I deal with in my seminars and workshops. If you would like to dramatically grow your sales then email me at coachbengo@gmail.com or coachbengo@mac.com

No comments:

Post a Comment